It is always good to do a little investigating to find out what your family and friends really want for Christmas this year. The following tips will help you save money this holiday shopping season.
1. Look for cash back credit cards. These cards pay as much as 5 % cash back on the first three months of spending, which ideally includes the Christmas season.
2. Build a savings account. It is the best way to deal with end of the year expenses. Try to save as much as possible throughout the year. Many people end up borrowing in December, when it makes more sense to build a savings account.
3. Try to keep you list of recipients short. Buy gifts for only your core group of friends. You can always send out a holiday card to the others. And remember, it’s the thought that counts.
4. Check MegaShopBot.com for deals. You can research prices on books, CDs, MP3s, DVDs, games and other online gifts. The site directs users to shopbots, which are robots that search for the best prices that you are looking for.
5. Get apps that help find low priced items on eBay. Look for apps that include buying guides with tips on how to buy underpriced items and resell them at higher prices.
6. Apply for a 0% credit card so that you will be more in control of your budget. Be sure to check lender options for 0% spending.
7. Talk for free on Skype to friends and family around the world instead of running up huge phone bills. Use your smartphone more for receiving calls and social media for connecting with a lot of people in a short time.
8. Be careful of online gift cards since they can go out of date sooner than expected. Some of the problems with gift cards are the company goes out of business or gift cards get lost and expire before they can be used.
9. Some of the most helpful gifts can simply be links to useful websites. Send out holiday emails with links, along with colorful photos.
10. Search for “free gifts” in search engines. Look for discount coupons from department stores in your neighborhood that you can print.