Shopping can be a fun experience, but it can also be costly whether we are shopping for groceries, household items or new articles of clothing to supplement our wardrobes. Everyone loves a good bargain or a way to save money on necessities and desirables, but finding ways to save can sometimes be a challenge.
Depending on what you are shopping for, there are several ways you can still buy exactly what you want without putting a huge dent in your wallet. Here are some tips for shopping smart and saving money at the same time:
- Use coupons as much as possible. You can get coupons from flyers, newspapers, online coupon websites, and even by writing to a manufacturer and requesting them.
- Comparison shop before making a purchase, especially for more costly items.
- Buy in bulk when shopping for groceries and household supplies. By purchasing larger quantities of foods that have a long shelf life or household items that are non-perishable, you can get a huge savings over purchasing only what you need on a short-term basis.
- For furniture, clothing and other home accessories, decor or wardrobe items, check out thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales.
- Shop for holiday-related items after the holiday has passed, when you can often get discounts of up to 80% off the regular prices.
- As with holiday items, shop for seasonal products in the same fashion – after the season has ended. Summer clothing is frequently on sale in the fall and winter, and winter attire is on sale in spring and summer.
- Always ask about special offers, promotional sales, clearance items, scratch-and-dent products, and other things that may be sold for less than the normal retail price for a variety of reasons.
By being a smart shopper, you are also being a thrifty one and the difference can and will be measured in dollars in your pocket!